Ribahep (Ribavirin) is used in combination with other antiviral medications to treat chronic (long-lasting) hepatitis C, a viral infection of the liver. Chronic hepatitis C infection can cause serious liver problems such as scarring (cirrhosis), or liver cancer. Ribahep (Ribavirin) works by reducing the amount of hepatitis C virus in your body, which may help your liver recover.
Dosage and Administration:
- Use Ribahep (Ribavirin) as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Ribahep (Ribavirin) comes with an extra patient information sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it carefully. Read it again each time you get Ribahep (Ribavirin) refilled.
- Take Ribahep (Ribavirin) by mouth with food.
- Drinking extra fluids while you are taking Ribahep (Ribavirin) is recommended. Check with your doctor for instructions.
- Take Ribahep (Ribavirin) on a regular schedule to get the most benefit from it. Taking Ribahep (Ribavirin)at the same times each day will help you remember to take it.
- Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Ribahep (Ribavirin).
- All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
- Diarrhea; dizziness; dry mouth; dry skin; hair loss; joint pain; loss of appetite; mild headache, nausea, or vomiting; mild stomach pain; tiredness; trouble sleeping; upset stomach; weakness or fatigue.